If your smartphone's touchscreen isn't working properly, it can be frustrating. However, there are some things you can do to fix the issue. Here are six ways to troubleshoot touch problems on your smartphone:
1. Clean your device:
Wipe your phone with a lint-free cloth, a soft damp tissue, or disinfectant wipes to avoid scratches. Avoid using harsh materials and cleaning products like household cleaning products and compressed air.
2. Change your 3D Touch sensitivity (If the feature is available on your device):
Go to Settings > Accessibility > Touch > 3D & Haptic Touch and turn on the feature. You can use the slider to choose your preferred sensitivity level or select the duration speed and click the image to try your new setting.
3. Close all your applications:
- Swipe up from the bottom and stop when you reach the middle of the screen. Swipe either right or left to find the app(s) you want to close, then swipe up on the app's preview to close it.
- Swipe up from the bottom of the screen, hold, and let go. Swipe from left to right, then click “Clear all.”
4. Force your device to restart:
- Press the volume up button and rapidly release it, then do the same with the volume down button. Press and hold the side button, then release it when you see the Apple logo pop up.
- Press and hold the power key and volume down key for 7-10 seconds.
5. Update your software:
Go to Settings > General > Software Update to update directly on your smartphone. Or, if using a computer, open the Finder or iTunes app and connect your phone to your Mac or PC. Click on your device in the sidebar, select “General” then “Check for Update,” and follow the instructions that appear on the screen.
6. Restore your device to factory settings:
Tap on your Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > "Erase All Content and Settings," enter your passcode or Apple ID password, then confirm that you wish to delete your device. Wait for your device to erase. For using a computer, open the Finder or iTunes app and click on your device in the sidebar. Select “Restore iPhone” and follow the instructions that appear on the screen.